gyaan.in

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

gyaan.in was shut down on 24th September 2013. Thanks to the entire community which made this journey so awesomeballs. Read more.
  • 1. What is common to Indira Gandhi, Jayprakash Narayan, John F. Kennedy and Gopinath Bordoloi (the first Chief Minister of Assam)?

2. “The city has become a desert… by God, _____ is no more a city, but a camp, a cantonment… No fort, no city, no bazaars, no watercourses… Four things kept _____ alive.” 
    Name _______.

3. Who was the last governor general of India and remains the only Chief Minister to receive Bharat Ratna?

4. If Gunners is to Arsenal, then __________ is to West Ham United.

5. If I write in ‘Newspeak’ and the ideology I follow is ‘IngSoc’ where do I live?

6. During the World War I, the army I belong to brings back dogs that they call Alsatians. Which army do I belong to ?

7. This country is the first Wi-Fi nation in the world and has issued a commemorative currency bearing an image of the cartoon character ‘Pikachu’. Name the country. 

8. My first band was the Quarrymen. I have two sons from two marriages. Having received a ‘Member of the British Empire’, I returned it and protested actively against the Vietnam War. I have also written two books, one of which is called ‘A Spaniard in the works’. Use your imagination. Who am I ?

9. Name the first Dalit to hold the position of Leader of the House in the Lok Sabha.

10. Which company, established by Oliver Chace in 1839,  has minority holdings in Coca-Cola, IBM, Procter and Gamble and American Express and also half of Heinz ?

11. If Abel Prize is one of them, name the other.

12. Which company owns Cadbury?

13. “Dewey defeats _______” was the headline of Chicago Tribune on 3 November, 1948, following the US Presidential Elections. Name the winner.

14. DC Comics published a mini-series titled Superman: Red Son. What was peculiar about the origins of Superman in the same?

15. These cartoons, created by Warner Bros., have a name that is a play on the Silly Symphonies cartoons of Disney. Along with Merry Melodies, these cartoon dominated the scene in the 1950’s and 60’s, often exceeding the popularity of Disney. Name them. 

• 1. Airports named after them?
    3. Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari
    4. Hammers
    5. Oceania (1984)
    6. Entente?
    7. Niue
    8. John Lennon?
    9. SK Shinde or Jagjivan Ram?
    10. Berkshire Hathaway (Now under the great Warren Buffett)
    11. Field's Medal: The two top honors in the field of Mathematics
    13. Harry Truman (A mistake in the press report...)
    15. The Looney Tunes
  • Answering the ones that haven't already been answered :
    2. This is Mirza Ghalib about Delhi. Although I don't know what the blank is.
    12.Hershey's (I guess)
    13. He lived in the USSR or some other Communist Country?
  • 1. Airports named after them
    2. The blank is Delhi
    3. C. Rajagopalachari 
    4. Hammers
    5. Oceania (1984)
    6. Entente or Allies
    7. Niue
    8. John Lennon
    9. SK Shinde
    10. Berkshire Hathaway
    11. Field's Medal
    12. Mondelez International