gyaan.in

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged

gyaan.in was shut down on 24th September 2013. Thanks to the entire community which made this journey so awesomeballs. Read more.
Bringing back moderator approval to new registrations
  • During a discussion today with @Shreyans, I found out that in recent weeks many spambot registrations were leaking through in our forum, now what we no longer have a manual approval process. It seems like this was a failure of verification tool that is used by gyaan.in. For more details on what the problem is, you can read my blog post on it.

Anyway, to tackle this major problem, I am bringing manual moderator approval back to the process. New applicants will have to wait for a while to have their accounts checked by one of moderators to determine whether it's spam or not. The approval process is not a test of your abilities, rather it is to check whether it is 'obviously' spam.

For now, I think Facebook/Google/Twitter/OpenID approval will still be kept as I haven't seen spam through those channels.
  • I don't think spambots will enter through Facebook/Google/Twitter channel since those site filter out spambots themselves.

And yeah, major issue. Guess old is better.
  • Well ankur bhaiya i totally agreee with you(though i am a newbie myself)
    and along with moderator approval you could also design a system whereby members are selected on merit basis. Many users google the answers and that looses the charm of quizzing. A short entrance test or type colud be conducted

[-O< :p
  • @QuizzingKing On that thing, we hope that people and the community self-police themselves. gyaan.in has never been about leaderboards or points, it's in the about section. To become a better quizzer, people need to learn to answer questions they know - Googling will not help become a better quizzer!
  • PS - The 'Why do you want to join' question is the sign up form is distinguish humans from spambots - they'll not know what to fill in.
  • @QuizzingKing - Even if they google here, in real life, they fail, so there.
  • ^You forgot your grammar or are you inspired by Yoda?
  • Nah.
    That's my jazz.